Transformer Phasor Diagram

Exact equivalent circuit of a transformer (with lagging load) is shown below.

Exact equivalent circuit of a transformer


Let the lagging load has impedance angle Ï´2 .



Applying KVL in secondary circuit.



Draw   I2R2  parallel to I2 ,   jI2X2   perpendicular and 900 ahead of I2 .
Add  I2   and   jI2X phasors to phasor V2  to get E2  , as per equation  (1)  above.





Let  Ф = Фm sinwt   be the flux linking both windings. Therefore,


By observing above E1 and E2  equations,  we find that E1 and Elead flux Ф by 900 , therefore, draw  Ф phasor 900 behind E2 . Draw E1 along E2 .



Current I0 is made of two components  Ic and Im .






As the central part (in exact equivalent circuit of a transformer) is an ideal transformer, therefore, by relation
We find Ip to be in phase with  I2 . Further resultant of I0 and IP gives I1 .


Apply KVL in primary circuit.


Draw I1R1 parallel to I1 , jI1X1 perpendicular to I1 and 900 ahead of it and add these to E1 to get V1 as per equation (2).


Transformer phasor diagram for lagging load




This is the complete phasor diagram for a lagging power factor load. Exactly similarly, phasor diagram for leading power factor load can be drawn by taking I2 ahead of V2  i.e  Ï´2  in opposite direction.